Friday, October 28, 2011

Refinished Coffee Table

Like the title says, "can't sit still" 
So I set out to refinish my family room coffee table.
Here is a little glimpse of the table before. I was never crazy about the color.
And there were some areas that were pretty worn out.
With one trip to Home Depot I gathered supplies:
After two coats of the Citristrip, LOTS of scraping and sanding,
my table's true colors were revealed.
Yuck!
 I know you're wishing I took more pictures of the next couple steps, 
but frankly I'm too antsi to stop and get my camera out,
 I just want to get to the good stuff. 
Staining! 
But even before that, I applied a pre-stain wood conditioner for even stain coverage.
I used a mixture of 2 parts English Chestnut to 1 part Ebony and mixed it in an empty paint can.
Applied to coats of my newly mixed stain with a foam brush
and used fine grade steel wool in between two coats of satin polyurethane.
I love the new color!
The satin finish is the perfect amount of sheen.
Ginger really wanted to be a part of taking-pictures-of-the-new-table.
I'm really happy with the results after a lot of blood, sweat a tears 
(okay, no blood, some sweat and I almost cried when I realized what I had gotten myself into!)
 But my hard work paid off.

4 comments:

  1. This looks sooo great! You did a wonderful job refinishing it.

    Jenny
    http://simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly think your hard work pad off too! Love the deep rich color of your stain. It looks wonderful! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful!! My dining room table needs to be done!

    ReplyDelete

Simple Spring Wreath

If you've got 7 minutes and a couple bucks, you too can make this Simple Spring Wreath! You'll just need a couple supplies fr...